Fried Hokkien Mee is a stir-fried dish with shrimp, squid, scrambled eggs, slices of pork belly and braised in umami-rich prawn stock. Hokkien noodles are made of wheat and usually yellow in color and are sometimes called yellow noodles, they are round and thick.
Time: 1 hr 55 mins
Fried Hokkien Mee Recipe:
4 tablespoon cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
100 grams pork belly cut into thin strips
200 grams squid
300 grams thick bee hoon
4 large eggs
200 grams shrimp from the shrimp you use for stock below
300 grams yellow noodles
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cup Chinese chives cut into 2-inch length
500 grams large unpeeled shrimp shelled and deveined, keep the shells for stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon anchovy sauce or fish sauce
3 cups chicken stock
- Presoak the bee hoon in water for about 30 minutes and then drain.
- Preheat a large pot and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, fry garlic for 30 seconds, add the shrimp shells and stir fry until the shells turn pink.
- Add anchovy sauce, brown sugar, chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. You will get about 2-2 1/2 cups or a bit more of the stock. Have a taste and add a bit more anchovy sauce if needed.
- Pat the shrimp and dry the squid. Heat a large skillet. Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and stir fry garlic for 10 seconds. Add in the shrimp and squid and stir-fry until the shrimp turn pink and squid are cooked through. Dish them out and set them aside.
- Add in 2 more tablespoons of oil. Pour in the eggs and scramble them. Push them to the side. Add both rice noodles and egg noodles. Add 3 ladles of the shrimp stock and stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add bean sprouts and chives. Add the shrimps and squid and the rest of the prawn stock. Gently toss to mix. Cook until the stock is almost absorbed(semi-wet)
- Portion out into an individual serving plate or just dish out to a large serving platter. Served with a side of sambal chilli. Serve immediately
Cook more such delicious recipes coming right out of the kitchen of our expert chefs.
To explore more cuisines, try out our new Chicken Biryani recipe right from houses of India.