Chicken Satay is a popular dish in Southern Asia where the meat is marinated and barbequed, then served with a saucy dip. Depending on the chef there are different versions of the recipe with different meats, ingredients, spices, etc. We are introducing you to the most delicious recipe from the kitchen of our home chefs.
Time: 1 hour 10 mins
Chicken Satay Recipe:
For the Chicken
1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into 1″ pieces
1 stalk lemongrass, ends removed, chopped into 1″ pieces
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon chili paste
FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE
1/4 cup reserved marinade
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 clove garlic, grated
1/4 cup boiling water
To cook a delicious Chicken Satay follow the recipe below.
- Combine lemongrass and coconut milk in a small saucepan on medium heat. As soon as it boils, remove it from heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain and reserve lemongrass pieces for the marinade.
- Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in cold water for 15-18 minutes.
- To coat the chicken take a medium bowl and toss turmeric and chicken together.
- In a blender, add coconut milk, sugar, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, ginger, shallot and chilli paste and blend until smooth. Set aside ¼ cup marinade for peanut sauce.
- Mix the remaining marinade with reserved lemongrass pieces and pour into the chicken bowl and toss it. Leave it at room temperature for 30-40 minutes or chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, to make peanut sauce: Whisk all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth and well combined.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and spear 3 pieces onto each skewer. Grill, flipping once until chicken is cooked through and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle satay with chopped peanuts and cilantro and serve with peanut sauce.
- Serve immediately!
Cook more such delicious recipes coming right out of the kitchen of our expert chefs or Order at Urban Tummy.
To explore more cuisines, try out our new Hainanese chicken rice -where chicken is poached in a simple yet flavorful broth scented with ginger, garlic, and scallions and is silky, firm, and tastes like the most perfect chicken you’ll ever have.