Butter Chicken is one of the most popular curries in Indian cuisine. Aromatic golden chicken pieces mixed in creamy sauces with different ingredients and spices. You can comfort your own home, especially with garlic butter rice and fresh homemade Naan bread.
Time: 1 hour
Butter Chicken Recipe:
For the chicken marinade:
800g boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon finely grated
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon red chili powder
For the curry:
1 tablespoon butter + 1 tbs oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons mixed ground spices
1 teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust to your taste preference)
14 oz (400 g) crushed tomatoes
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup of heavy or thickened cream
1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
To cook a delicious Chicken Satay follow the recipe below.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade and let it marinate for 2-3 hour
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Let it sizzle, then add chicken pieces in batches of two or three. Fry until browned on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat butter in the same pan and fry the onions until they start to sweat for about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add ground coriander, cumin and garam masala. Let cook for about 20 seconds until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chilli powder and salt. Let simmer and stir for about 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, scoop mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to help it blend (up to 1/4 cup). Work in batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour the puréed sauce back into the pan. Stir the cream, sugar and crushed or fenugreek leaves through the sauce. Add the chicken with juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh homemade Naan!
Cook more such delicious recipes coming right out of the kitchen of our expert chefs, or Order at Urban Tummy.